Duration: 13 nights / 14 days.
Accommodation: Hotels, Resorts and Tents.
Activity Type: Walking, Trekking & Tour.
Difficulty Level: Strenuous.
Group size: Minimum 2 pax.
Best Months to do this Trek: March – June, September – 2nd Week of December.
This is a classic 9-day Trek starting from (Drugyal Dzong) Paro and end at Dodena near Thimphu. The route passes through two high passes from Jangothang. The view of Jumolhari Mountain (7314 M) from Jangothang is spectacular. The Trek is strenuous and is very popular. The highest point is 4115 M.
Day 01. Arrival at Paro 2280 meters:
- Representative from Chen-Ray Travel & Tours will receive you with a traditional welcome scarf (Khadhar).
- After lunch, visit Rinpung Dzong (Paro Dzong) built in 1646 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal.
- Visit the Ta dzong, an ancient watchtower now turned to National Museum
Day 02. Paro sightseeing – Hike to Taktsang Monastery (The Tiger’s Nest):
- The hike to Taktshang Monastery perched on a cliff at 2950m/9700ft takes anywhere from 4 to 6 hours as per your hiking ability.
- Visit Kyichu Lhakhang, built in 659 by the Tibetan King Songtsen Gampo.
- Drive up to Drukgyal Dzong.
- Trek to Shana (2580m) following the Paro river
- Overnight at camp Shana.
Day 04. Shana – Thangthangka
Altitude: 3610 m; Distance 22 Km; Time 7 – 8 hours. (Ascent 770 meters, Descent 10 meters)
- The trail follows the river through a heavily forested area with a few isolated farmhouses.
- We Pass a junction en route, where another path leads north over the Tremo La to Tibet.
- Camp is in a meadow with a stone shelter.
Day 05. Thangthangka – Jangothang:
Altitude: 4080 m; Distance 19 Kms; Time 5 – 6 hours. (Ascent 480 meters)
- After passing a small army post, the trail slowly leaves the forest line and gradually climbs into a beautiful valley, passing Tegethang,a winter home of yak herdsmen.
- Lots of yaks will be seen today before we arrive at the Jhomolhari base camp (4,115 m).
Day 06. Jangothang: Rest day at Jangothang, enjoy the superb view all around.
For Day hikes, you have 3 options on this day at Jangothang.
- Hike to Jumolhari Glacier which is around 4 ½ hours (Back and forth)
- Hike to Jichu Drake Glacier which is around 3 hours (Back and Forth).
- Walk up the mountain between Jumolhari and Jichu Drake, the summit is at 5200 meters with a great view of both the mountains. This is 8 hours (Back and forth).
Day 07. Jangothang – Lingshi:
Camp altitude is 4010 meters. 18 kms, walking time: 6-7 hours, Ascent 840 meters, Descent: 870 meters.
- The trail follows the stream for half an hour and crosses the bridge,
- Start the climb up to the first ridge with a breathtaking view of Jumolhari, JichuDrakey and Tsrim Ghang.
- Climb to the Nyeley la pass at an altitude of 4,700 meters.
- After the pass it’s a gradual descent to the Lingshi camp, enjoying the panorama view of the peaks and Lingshi dzong.
Day 08. Lingshi – Shodu:
Camp at Shodu: 4080 meters. Distance: 22 kms, 8-9 hours walk. (Ascent 940 meters, Descent 920 meters).
- The trail today climbs to Yalila Pass (4930 m), from where on a clear day, impressive views of Mount Jumolhari, Tserim Kang and Masagang can be seen.
Day 09. Shodu – Barshong:
Camp at Altitude: 3710 meters. 16 kms. Walking time 5-6 hours, Ascent 250 meters, Descent: 670 meters.
- The path follows the Thimphu River, descending through rhododendron, juniper and other alpine forest.
- The view of the cliff facing rocks and waterfalls are stunning.
- The trail gradually ascends to the ruins of the Barshong dzong, reaching the camp.
Day 10. Barshong – Dolamkencho:
Camp at the altitude 3320 meters. 15 kms. Walking time 4-6 hours, Ascent 290 meters, and Descent 640 meters.
- The road descends through alpine forest and climb up to Dolamkencho camp.
Day 11. Dolamkencho – Dodena – Thimphu:
Distance 8 km, 4 hours walk. Ascent 500 meters, Descent 930 meters.
- The path descends through bamboo forests,
- Arrive at Dodena where you will be picked up and drive to Thimphu.
- Visit the Memorial Chorten built in 1974 in honour of our late 3rd King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk.
- Kuenselphodrang now popularly known as Buddha point since the construction of the world’s tallest Buddha (Dhordenma) Statue (169 feet) started. You can also enjoy the spectacular view of Thimphu valley below.
- Visit the National Library
- Institute of thirteen traditional arts and crafts.
- Traditional handmade paper factory at work.
- Visit to the Tashichho Dzong
- Visit the Craft Bazaar for souvenirs.
Day 13. Thimphu- Punakha – Thimphu: (Altitude 1320 m, Distance 72 Kms, 2 hours drive).
- Drive to Punakha via Dochula pass (3100m)
- Visit Punakha Dzong (fortress) built in 1637.
Day 14. Thimphu – Paro Airport (Departure):
- Your travel in Bhutan ends. Our team will drop to the airport and bid farewell.